(Fill in the blank): Breakfast is the most ________ meal of the day. Of course you know the answer! Maybe you’re still rushing to get yourself, the dog, the spouse, and the kids out of the house in the morning—yet you had good intentions of feeding everyone properly.
Here are 3 quick-to-make, protein-rich breakfast recipes that cover you and your family’s dietary needs. One is low-sugar, another low-fat, and another low-carb. Now all your bases are covered. Check ‘em out…
Low-Fat Banana Cocoa Smoothie
This is a simple recipe with a rich taste that also provides a wealth of protein, potassium, and magnesium. The caffeine content is just enough to give you a kick-start without the shakes. Skip the time or money used on a cup of coffee and feed yourselves this satisfying breakfast smoothie.
In a blender add:
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 ounces of plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao nibs
Add ice and blend. Now you’ve got yourself a drink with very little fat (and it’s the good kind!), a bunch of protein, potassium to lower your water retention, and magnesium to boost your metabolism. Bottoms up!
Low-Sugar Blueberry Buckcakes
Mixing the ingredients should take five minutes and with a hot griddle waiting, each pancake only needs one minute of heat on each side. You could, conceivably, have this delicious, protein-packed, low-sugar breakfast ready to eat in under 10 minutes.
In a bowl, drop in:
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon powdered Stevia extract (or @ 6 drops of liquid Stevia)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
In a separate little bowl beat together:
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup sour milk (1 cup milk of your choice mixed with 1 teaspoon lemon juice to create acidity)
Pour wet mixture into dry ingredients bowl. Stir briefly. It will be lumpy. Add in ¾ cup of blueberries and fold in gently. If mixture is way too thick, toss in a tiny bit of water and continue to mix.
Place dabs of the mix onto the hot pan/griddle, flattening with a spatula. Flip them over to the other side when cakes are bubbling and the sides begin to brown. Remove from pan, cool briefly, and they are ready to devour!
Low-Carb Sun-Dried and Feta Omelet
This is a delicious, way to fill your belly with healthy ingredients while keeping carbs to a minimum.
In a bowl whisk together:
- 2 egg whites and 1 egg (with yolk)
- sprinkle in a ¼ tsp sea salt and 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of fresh herbs- oregano would be delish
- Butter your nonstick frying/omelet pan. Pour in egg mixture and heat until it “sets”.
- Crumble 1 ounce of Feta cheese over the eggs
- Place a few sun-dried tomatoes over the cheese.
- Fold the egg in half, pressing down with spatula. Remove from skillet and enjoy!