People can develop allergies at any age. A recent study, however, points out that certain treatments are ineffective based on the individual’s age when they first became allergic.
Might it be Mites?
This particular research out of Germany studied adults who are allergic to dust mites. The researchers were trying to figure out why steroid treatment wasn’t working for many of the subjects. A corticosteroid decreases inflammation in the airways. But in many of these cases, the subjects’ conditions remain unchanged with steroid treatment.
What the scientists discovered was that the age of the person (at the allergy’s first appearance) altered the way he/she responded to the medication. Those who developed the dust allergy as adults were more likely to be resistant to the steroids.
What Does this Say?
Unfortunately, this research may predict that certain allergies acquired later in adulthood may be harder to treat. The immune response is different, so the treatment many need to be different as well. Additionally, during their study, the scientists were able to identify (in lab rats) which ones were predisposed to allergies.
Although this particular test was conducted using dust mites, it opens up questions about other allergies acquired later in life. The age of the patient upon allergic commencement may inform on the type of treatment required.
Age of Exposure
We’ve already become aware of certain foods that we perhaps shouldn’t expose to infants—because of the risk of developing an allergy or for safety factors. For example, babies can’t chew nuts, so they’d choke. But it could also be catastrophic if they had the predisposition to nut allergies. The same goes for shellfish.
Honey isn’t recommended (for children under one year) because there’s a chance it could contain bacteria causing infant botulism. Strawberries have also been known to create an allergic reaction in babies and young children,
As with all allergies, it is an immune response. Your body produces histamines as a weapon to attack the allergen to which you have exposed. It’s an overactive immune response. Usually, you get hives, swelling, itching, tingling, your airways become inflamed, among other uncomfortable (and sometimes life-threatening) symptoms.
If you or your children experience these symptoms, it’s important to discover the source causing the allergy. Once detected, you can avoid contact with the allergen and/or seek treatment. Try to eat organic and keep dust mites to a minimum, if possible. Say no to the itch, at any age.
Check out more health tips at www.GetThrive.com today, tomorrow, and everyday!