Getting bored or fickle with your plant-based diet? Do you sometimes look in the fridge or pantry and nothing looks enticing? Perhaps it’s time to mix-it-up a bit. There’s an outstanding green smoothie that’s an oldie but a goodie. It’s a 10-minute prep and blend, and promises to delight in flavor and nutritional satisfaction.
New York Times bestselling author Angela Liddon has invented 100’s of vegan recipes, but there’s one kitchen sink-type drink full of veggies that promises to keep you feeling sated for hours. Its ingredients were chosen specifically by Liddon to create a perfect shake; it doesn’t include bananas, which is one reason why if you make a large batch, it will last for an entire day. She calls it the “All Day Glow Green Smoothie.” And glow you will.
She describes the flavor as “refreshing, tangy, and lightly sweet.” Included in the recipe is: fresh turmeric (found at Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods), which is a natural anti-inflammatory and pain-reliever; fresh cilantro beneficial for detoxifying; fresh parsley, an antioxidant containing vitamin K; red leaf lettuce containing iron and fiber; lemon, an antibacterial high in vitamin C; avocado for the good fat; and mango containing vitamin A and C along with prebiotic dietary fiber.
Here’s the recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 cup (250 mL) coconut water
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) mango juice (I love Happy Planet Organic Mango juice)
- 2 large (400 g total) Granny Smith apples, cored and roughly chopped
- 2 cups (70 g) packed red leaf lettuce or romaine
- 2/3 cup (18 g) loosely packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup (15 g) packed fresh cilantro leaves OR ¼ cup of fresh mint
- 1/2 cup (70 g) frozen mango chunks
- 1/4 cup (50 g) packed avocado
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 2 small, pinky-sized pieces (12 g total) peeled fresh turmeric
- 5 to 6 large ice cubes, or as needed
- Add the coconut water and mango juice into a (64-ounce) high-speed blender. (If your blender is on the small side, you may want to make a half-batch.)
- Now add the rest of the ingredients. Blend on high until super smooth. If you have a Vitamix, use the tamper stick to get things moving. Taste and adjust sweetness if desired. If it’s too tart, feel free to add a bit of liquid sweetener.
- Serve and enjoy! Place any leftovers into an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 24 hours. I love to enjoy half in the morning, and the other half in the afternoon.