Women don’t generally associate weight loss with weight lifting, but resistance training will help shed the pounds. Along with slimming down, using weights can provide other health benefits too.
Resistance Training is not training yourself to resist eating that piece of cake. (Although you can lose weight that way, too.) Lifting weights, using machines, or even using your own body weight are all part of the resistance movement. Losing weight will happen, but there are several other health advantages as well. Here are 9 solid reasons to start strength training today.
1) Burn Calories. Bunches will burn as you create lean muscle mass. Your body will use calories more efficiently. For hours after you train, your body will continue to burn calories, even if you’re sitting.
2) Increase Metabolism. During and after weight training, you consume extra oxygen. When your body uses more oxygen, it burns more calories. This requirement for more fuel (calories) forces your metabolism to increase to feed your muscles. The advantage to an increased metabolic rate is that it burns fat faster.
3) Strengthen Your Heart. Resistance training can lower blood pressure for up to 12 hours after each workout. Those who lift weights lower their risk of developing heart disease because: it reduces waist size and lowers triglycerides and glucose levels.
4) Sculpt Your Bod. Cardio can help you lose the puff, but it won’t necessarily add shape to your muscles. Using weights will help you create definition in different muscles. Say goodbye to upper-arm flap. Say hello to a tight booty.
5) Save Your Bones. Muscles and bone mass begin deteriorating as we age. Resistance training prolongs the inevitable and aids in keeping your bones and muscles strong. Your risk of osteoporosis also becomes decreased.
6) Improve Your Sleep. Weight training helps you fall asleep more easily because your stress is reduced. The quality of sleep is also improved and deeper. You may even sleep through the entire night without waking once.
7) Improve Your Balance. Resistance training strengthens your muscles and your core. Good balance is predicated on strength. Better balance, less falls and possible injuries.
8) Your Clothes Will Fit Better. Muscle weighs more than fat. But fat takes up more room. You might weigh more, but you will appear thinner because of your lean muscles.
The thought of resistance training may frighten or intimidate you. You will not get bulky. You won’t hurt yourself (unless you overdo it.) It may be the key that unlocks the weight-loss door for you.
Ask a trainer for assistance or watch a video when it comes to weights. Using your own body as a weight you can do pushups, squats, and planks. Try it for a while and watch your body and mind transform. For other ways to improve your health with workouts, check out www.GetThrive.com